Canvas is the university's Learning Management Engine (LME), and the interface for Quercus, our new teaching and learning environment.
The LME integrates various educational technology applications and functionalities, in addition to supporting many of the tools that faculty are using with their courses. Canvas is integrated with ACORN/ROSI (UofT's student information system).
Please use the links in the Instructional Technology main menu to navigate to instructions for basic course setup in Quercus, including assignment creation and more.
The Course Life Cycle provides the timeline of when instructors have access to Quercus courses, and can be found at the link below.
Below is a video that provides an overview of Quercus.
Logging into Quercus
Instructors can login to Quercus at q.utoronto.ca to access their courses, including their *sandbox course (for UTM instructors only, UTORid and Password required).
More information can be found at How to Log Into Quercus.
*A Quercus sandbox course:
- is a space created for an individual instructor to experiment with Quercus;
- can be used to experiment with adding different types of content and exploring different course structures;
- has a Test Student that can be used to see what is visible from the student perspective (NOTE: It is not possible for the Test Student to view certain group features in the People area of Quercus);
- can be used by instructors to experiment and test different tools and Quercus features;
- can be reset using the feature in Settings to Reset Course Content and start over; and,
- can be used as a source to import content into future academic based Quercus courses.
Additional note regarding Requests for Access to Course Websites:
- Additional information regarding Requests for Access to Course Websites is provided at the link provided below.
Contacting the UTM Library & Instructional Technologies Team
For support with your online teaching, please reach out to the UTM Library & Instructional Technologies Team
- Submit a ticket to Instructional Support on the UTM Service Portal at http://uoft.service-now.com/utm/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (905) 601-8859
We can set up individual or group consultations by phone or via virtual meeting.
The publicly available UTM Teach Anywhere Quercus information is available at https://library.utm.utoronto.ca/faculty/quercus/teach-anywhere.
Also, we have created a UTM Teach Anywhere Quercus course and have sent an invite to all UTM instructors who are currently teaching full and half year courses. This is a central online place to work together, share information and meet online. If you are a UTM instructor who is currently teaching this semester, you should be able to access the UTM Teach Anywhere course already by logging into Quercus at https://q.utoronto.ca with your UTORid and password.
If you declined the invite in Quercus and would like us to resend an invitation, please let us know by entering your information in this form - FORM - Request for reinvite to UTM Teach Anywhere Quercus course.