Copyright has an impact on the research, teaching and learning activities at the University of Toronto and the work of all members of our community. The librarians and staff at UTM Library are committed to providing information and support as it relates to copyright. We are here to answer any questions you may have and to ensure that we are all ‘copying right’.
Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Course Reserves and Syllabus Service:
General copyright questions:
Yayo Umetsubo, Scholarly Communications and Liaison Librarian
- Copyright Resources, provided by the Scholarly Communications and Copyright Office on the St. George Campus
- The University of Toronto’s Copyright Fair Dealing Guidelines explain the fair dealing exceptions and help us understand what we may or may not copy under the Act. Produced by the Office of the Provost (Created in 2012 and reviewed in 2018)
- Copyright Basics and FAQ issued by the University of Toronto legal counsel, this FAQ provides in depth information on copyright issues
- The Using of Audiovisual Materials at the University of Toronto: Copyright Considerations policy (August 2018) outlines the copyright considerations when using audiovisual materials on campus.
Canadian Copyright Information:
The amendments to the Copyright Act in 2012 (Copyright Modernization Act) and several important decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada have expanded the scope of fair dealing exceptions under the Act.
― Important Decision ―
- Théberge v. Galerie d'Art du Petit Champlain inc. (2002)
- CCH Canadian Ltd. v. Law Society of Upper Canada (2004)
- Alberta (Education) v. Canadian Copyright Licensing Agency (Access Copyright) (2012)
- Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada v. Bell Canada (2012)
― Further Readings ―
- Murray, Laura J., and Samuel E. Trosow. Canadian Copyright: A Citizen's Guide. 2nd ed. Toronto: Between the Lines, 2013.
- Geist, Michael, ed. The Copyright Pentalogy: How the Supreme Court of Canada Shook the Foundations of Canadian Copyright Law. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2015.
― Other Important Websites ―