Any assignment, test, exam, or other graded work should have its own Grade Column in the Grade Center. In some cases, Blackboard adds Grade Columns automatically. This will occur when:
- You distribute and collect assignments through the Create Assignment tool;
- You enable grading in tools like the Discussion Board, Blogs and Journals; or
- You create a Test or Survey.
Any work for which a Grade Column is not automatically created can be included in the Grade Center by manually creating a Grade Column.
Create a Grade Column
- Navigate to the Grade Center.
- Click the Create Column button.
- On the Create Grade Column page, enter a Column Name for this graded item
- Students will see this column name on their MyGrades page, so try to keep column names brief and descriptive, for example, “Essay 1”.
- You may choose to provide a Description of this graded item.
- Students will see this description in My Grades.
- Ensure that Primary Display is set to Score.
- Enter the Points Possible.
- This is the total mark that the assessment is out of; enter a numeric value such as 100.
- The weight of each graded item is determined by the Weighted Total column and does not need to be reflected in the Points Possible field.
- Provide a Due Date.
- This information will be broadcast in the To Do module on the home page and in each student’s Notifications Dashboard.
- Under Show This Column to Students, select No. This keeps the new column invisible to students.
- It is recommend that you only make this column visible once all marks have been entered and you are ready to broadcast them.
- Click Submit. Your new column will appear at the end of the Grade Center.